@bomsy, @belen-albeza, @jbhoosreddy, @aklt, @yurydelendik, @clarkbw, @wldcordeiro, @giltayar, @jasonLaster, @julienw, @codehag,
We switched to using symbols as the basis of preview this week, which is a really big deal for a couple of reasons.
Symbols are our system for finding functions, variables, and now member expressions, object expressions, and array expressions. This is a big deal because we can now do one sweep of a file and find all of the interesting expressions a user might mouse over. Previously, we would wait for the user to hover on a token and then try to figure out what the logical expression was. This was a full AST traversal every time!
The other reason why using symbols is amazing is that we can resolve some really tricky cases. Take a look at these expressions. We can now begin supporting hovering on object keys, array items, and even object keys INSIDE OF arrays :) This will make preview much more powerful.
It’s hard to understate how much more stable breakpoints in the new debugger are. @codehag and I obsessed over 4 edge cases and found lots of stability bugs:
In June, we switched from showing function search results in the search bar pane to showing them in an editor style modal. Since then, there’s been a lot of polish to smooth over the rough edges. @wldcordeiro has a really nice animation in the works too!
We started working on editor style Project Search in SF and @bomsy has been making really good progress here.
We can now open project search with
cmd+shift+f, search across all sources,
and display the results. There’s still some polish needed here before we turn
it on in nightly.